You are not allowed to reply to threads as a guest user.
WELCOME TO PLIT GAMES FORUM
GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: SfP Newbies
Thread: 100k APs to spend
Post by: Raffen(17213)
2004-12-17 05:16:34
I've saved up over 100k APs, and I'm ready to spend them now. I've played the game for some time now, but I've only cleaned out Troglodyte, Pirate, Goblin, Kobold, Orc and the Catacombs once each.

I'm wondering how you would advise me to spend the APs efficiently. Is it best to go from dungeon to dungeon cleaning them out as I go along. Or is it better to stick to one dungeon, clean it and wait till it respawns?

Wich dungeons would you recommend if I want to improve my party a lot, and get loads of quest items?
Post by: Raffen(17213)
2004-12-17 05:58:32
One more thing.....

I have a magus with Acid Bolt (lvl 104), Lightning ball (69), Magic missiles (1), Mass Paralyze (5). And another magus with Ice bolt (86), Fighting sword (3), Fire ball (4), Magic ball (28). And also a healer.

Any recommendations on magic use in combat? Is it best to use curse spells with the healer, cause it spends less mp? Or do you use holy wrath etc?
Post by: FloriZeus(7923)
2004-12-17 06:59:24
"'ve saved up over 100k APs, and I'm ready to spend them now. I've played the game for some time now, but I've only cleaned out Troglodyte, Pirate, Goblin, Kobold, Orc and the Catacombs once each.

I'm wondering how you would advise me to spend the APs efficiently. Is it best to go from dungeon to dungeon cleaning them out as I go along. Or is it better to stick to one dungeon, clean it and wait till it respawns?"

This depends on your time, if you're going to spend a lot of ap's in short time, move around. If you stay in a dungeon and wait for the respawn it will cost you quite some time to spend all your ap's. Basicly, if you have teleport it's not an issue. With teleport you can get too any of the dungeons in two hops(if necessary with some coaches).

"Wich dungeons would you recommend if I want to improve my party a lot, and get loads of quest items?"

The medium dungeons are Hobgoblins, Troglodytes, Pirates and Catacombs. If you are already easily cleaning these out(especially on the magic field(ie that you don't get damaged to hard by your magic opponents) you should move on to Ancient Castle. The magic there is relatively hard, the melee is on the average not hard(only the big groups of skeleton warriors can be troublesome). The Mereniver Caves are for after this, when you can easily clean AC(and don't get hurt too much by the Magic in there). The Dark Mereniver is hard on melee and should probably be done after AC but before Mereniver Caves.

If you can, however, not easily clean up the Medium Dungeons, I'd advise you to spend some of your ap in those four. If you want to focus on your magic defence, visit catacombs often enough, for melee visit Pirate's. Hobs and Trogs are in between.

"I have a magus with Acid Bolt (lvl 104), Lightning ball (69), Magic missiles (1), Mass Paralyze (5). And another magus with Ice bolt (86), Fighting sword (3), Fire ball (4), Magic ball (28). And also a healer.

Any recommendations on magic use in combat? Is it best to use curse spells with the healer, cause it spends less mp? Or do you use holy wrath etc?"

For the healer, you should ofcourse cast Bless spells before engaging in combat(in the first place Bless Strength, if possible also Bless Endurance; if you don't have enough MP, at least do the front row chars). For the mages I'd pick the Acid Bolt - Lightning Ball combo and the Ice Bolt - Magic Ball combo. In the first place for the skills you already possess and in the second place for the spread out damage.

Make sure to set your Combat Settings well though.
2004-12-17 07:02:15
Last point for the healer... I think curse spells are a waste of MP. The same goes for Holy Wrath and Mass Holy Wrath. Actually the only two worthy spells to be cast in combat are Heal and Mass Heal. Before combat the Bless Strength, Endurance and Agility(in that order).
Post by: raynbow(16237)
2004-12-18 00:03:34
Zeus gave all good advice. The only thing I'd differe on is the spells. Let the mage that has magic missile use it. It's a great spell that does lost more damage than the average bolt spell, and it'll go up fast if you just use it.
2004-12-18 07:28:52
Hmm, I can agree with that and also disagree. Acid Bolt 104 is decent enough to use still. And with the increase of parties in the NW, I'm supposing their might be an increase in sale of Power Bolt Spells... so I'd actually use AB till I could buy PAB or any other Power Spell.
Post by: Omen(10371)
2004-12-20 11:33:17
Wow. I want Power Lightning Bolt scrolls! How much do they sell them for? Or where do we get these scrolls? I'm sure no monsters will drop such scrolls. Do New World towns sell them?

Omen
2004-12-20 20:00:07
Nevermind. I'll stick with the spell I have now.

Omen
2004-12-20 20:56:22
New World Towers sell them.

PFB:Tower of Gwerraent 50,000 gold
PAB:Tower of Merobrylla 50,000 gold
PIB:Tower of Meranderiel 50,000 gold
PLB:Tower of Valerendario 75,000 gold
PMM:Tower of Lomario 75,000 gold

(with haggling price can be decreased up to half of the sell price)
2004-12-20 21:55:59
Thanks again, Zeus! I'll buy Power Magic Missile for those tough monsters in Astral Castle.

Omen
Post by: Kubala(25078)
2004-12-26 03:16:39
are any of these spells actually worth the MP? I don't really cast because I save all mage mp for transportation. But I can hack the crap out of my enemys, that's for sure.
Post by: Argaud(36887)
2004-12-26 10:39:04
Yes and no.
Yes, the spells are very powerful.
No, I don't think you need them, by the time you can have them your warriors can hack the crap out of your enemies and do -far- more damage in a battle than any mage (or any other character, really) and at no cost of MPs.
In the NW the mages are just support characters, needed for teleport and buffs, and little else.
On the other hand the Healer's spells Bless Magic, Bless Divinity and Combat Healing are very much needed.
2004-12-29 11:27:55
I'm not a fan of mages, but I don't dismiss them as worthless class as rogues. Their Improved Magic Defence, Town Portal and Teleport are all useful spells =o) And talk about the Power Bolt spells, with high level mages, warriors won't have anything to hack after the magical phase! All classes play an important role. It just depends on what your party is made of. If you want to end the battle before the melee phase, get yourself some mages and rangers with some healers. Anyway, I'm forever be a ranger and healer fan =oD

Omen
2004-12-30 06:49:48
In the way Argaud(which party are you anyway? I presume Iknow you but I fail to make an association :)) puts it Healers are support characters too. And it is true, the only important chars are Warriors anyway because they kill.

I still believe though that Mages and Healers are more useful than Rangers and a lot more than Rogues(the only point for it at now, supreme charisma, streetwise and haggling is by 400k ap's spent by far covered). Support character yes, but imagine not teleporting? not improved movement, defence, armor and weapon skills? not Bless End, Str and Agi?

And, with Mages and Healers having over 300 (mine averaging on 500) Magic Points, I think it's worth using the Power Bolt Spells, as worth as it is having a ranger fire a quiver arrows in the missile phase.

And about MP needed for transportation: well, I have three mages. When doing Isles I let the first(with highest teleport and imp movement spell skill) not cast anything. While the others can feast their bolts... In a place like Astral however, where I don't really need teleport a lot, I have him cast his spell.

It all depends on your own style of playing...;)
Post by: Argaud(36887)
2005-01-01 21:52:31
I am Warclan, Zeus. And I do have two very powerful mages in my party :). But only two warriors :(

Mages are useful, yes. You need at least one for the all important Teleport/Town Portal combo, identifications and buffing your movement and magical defense. But that's it.

If I arrange the mages so they cast one of the power spells they will cause about 400-600 damage to the enemy, which is nice, and seems a lot. Until you realize the groups you are fighting have over 2,000 hp, sometimes as much as 4,000, and that you have the mages doing 20% of the damage, and the warriors (with a little help of the ranger) doing 75% of the rest. Moreover the mages, with their 300-400 mps, can cast only about 20 offensive spells each, while the warriors can go on fighting for 50, 100 or even more battles (I can clean any dungeon in the NW without stopping except the Arena, and usually both in an island without stopping) before the healers run out of mps (although having 3 healers means I can go on for longer than most parties, that is true). Once the healers have run out of mps I am not going to rest over 500 aps so the mages are back to full mps, just 50-150, depending on how tough the dungeon is.

So no, mages are not useless (like rogues and rangers clearly are) but they aren’t that important in the NW. You’ll do better with just one mage and more healers, and -far- better with more warriors.
Post by: raynbow(16237)
2005-01-18 23:55:05
I actually like Rangers. I have two, both with a ton of attacks, and on small groups of critters, I quite often don't even HAVE a melee round. Between spells and missile attacks, there just isn't much left.

Rogues though. Still useless. I'm training up a new one, but I don't have high hopes.
2005-01-19 02:40:25
Not entirely true...actually I believe that the only plus point of having more warriors is damage spreadout.

Look at Ancient Travellers; one warrior, 70k ap spent(okay it is peter playing) but that warrior is almost the best around...

Eight warriors would spread out damage over eight chars, but also the training received :)

Actually any combo will work if you keep these rules:
at least one warrior, preferable 3 or 4
at least one healer per 2 warriors, if possible more
at least one mage, if possible more but not necessary
fill up the rest ;)

basic party: Warrior-Mage-Healer :)

Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21814
Logout