You are not allowed to reply to threads as a guest user.
WELCOME TO PLIT GAMES FORUM
GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: VOW General
Thread: Can Someone Clear this up for me?
Post by: Dyna Mike Duncan(127082)
2007-02-01 02:37:39
No, not acne! Long gone are the days when I suffered from that (unfortunately!)

Having got myself involved in a discussion on Chat earlier today, I got my wrists slapped by one of the MODS (Don't know which one it was, but he kept spelling WISH wrong).

The topic of discussion came about because one player kept insisting that it was 'against the rules' for a couple of other players to be chatting in their own language (it happened to be German, but it could have been any non-English language).

I got involved stating that nowhere in the rules does it state that English is the only permissable language to be used in Chat and that insisting that English be used was bordering on the xenophobic.

I may have been a bit forceful in my defence of the non-english speaking players, but I don't think I did anything that sparked the MOD into threatening to take away my chat rights.

Anyway, my question is: What is the rule (if there is one) regarding which language should be used in chat?
Post by: JopeBow(66329)
2007-02-01 02:50:17
Sawtdee, i think it's rude to start talking in a different language to the norm, Which on this game i'm guessing it's english. if you want a private convo that's what PM's are for. and it's easier for ALL mods to moderate if it is a universal language. It's easier to swear in a different language and get away with it... i got into this arguement when i first came here and i still stand by my belief. im not saying you shouldnt speak your language and that everyone should speak english. but it's clear to everyone that this game is in english. all be it poor english at times.
Joe BOW RULZ!!!!
2007-02-01 03:09:11
I agree Joe about the private conversation part - providing that the rule is enforced across the board (which it isn't at present) There are numerous private conversations taking place on chat at any given time - picking on two or three individuals because they just happen to be using non-English to do so is just wrong and xenophobic.

Unless Chat is to be limited to purely VOW based converstaions, you can't pick + choose which private conversations are to be outlawed.

I have no problem with people using whatever language they like - if there's a conversation going on I have no interest in, I simply ignore it.

It could appear impolite to switch from English to German (for example) once another German speaking player joins, but who is to say that everybody who comes on VOW speaks Englsh anyway? Just because a player doesn't speak the most common language used on CHAT is no reason to bar them from using it at all. That - as I said previously - is bordering on xenophobia and maybe even racism.
2007-02-01 03:09:41
Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! I've got to get my PC sorted out!
Post by: jmallonee(34807)
2007-02-01 04:02:23
it is my understanding that any language can be spoken in chat.
however. I think if someone joined this site they probably can speak english or they wouldn't of been able to join. since they wouldnt of been able to read how to sign up.
however. out of respect for the work the moderators are trying to do. it would be appropriate to use the language that most people use. it is the language the owner uses in his posts. and the language that the moderators probably use.
for myself. if someone is speaking in a language I do not know I just ignore it.
I do wonder sometimes what they are talking about. and why they are chosing to speak in a language that most people on vow probably dont know. if it is for privacy why not use the message system?
but. do I think it is wrong to speak in their own tongue? not in my opinion. it would be nice to know what they are saying on a public chat system.
I dont think that it could be against the rules to speak whatever language you want to as long as the rules of conduct are not being broken.
Post by: The Legend Killer(21778)
2007-02-01 07:02:30
Why should it concern people about a little bit of German. Some people might speak another language because they feel more comfortable with it.
Post by: yar(35506)
2007-02-01 09:34:58
I think alot of people find it rude if you ask me. Chat is for everyone and when people speak a language they dont understand they feel left out of the converstaion.
I personally dont care if they speak pig latin. And since there is no rule against it, not much can be done. Even though I would prefer to have one common language in chat.
Post by: Captain Stupendous(38517)
2007-02-01 10:10:06
I live in one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in the world. It is commonplace for me to hear languages that I find incomprehensible, which... would be all of them, since I only speak English. English may be the world language, but I do not expect people to abandon their preferred language.

The only time I find an unfamiliar language offensive... is when people are talking about ME. :p
Post by: yar(35506)
2007-02-01 13:24:54
Ya I dont find differant languages offensive and it doesnt really bother me, if I am bored i will even go to a translator and try to figure out what they are saying, although free translaters leave alot to be desired lol
2007-02-01 22:17:36
So - there isn't a rule about only using English on Chat then :)
Post by: jmallonee(34807)
2007-02-01 23:25:48
not unless things have changed. I once asked peter about this. and he said that people can speak any language they want. but dont hold me to that. that was a long time ago and peter might not remember that conversation.
Post by: Syrjis(80123)
2007-02-03 08:11:46
Speaking with foreign languages on chat is fun. If you can speak on the chat that is.

I remember a day when all these portuguese people where invading the chat and I thought for a minute if I'd accidentally logged on to VOW - Portuguese..
Post by: denzil(82151)
2007-02-09 08:45:02
Some times a mod just has to ban chat for in game chat problems and to stop a massive fight before it gets out of hand. This is a tuff old spot for any chat mod but he is just trying to keep chat clear of problems. So if foreign languages cause this some times well players can loose chat. It’s not personal but a safety valve. This is my exp as a main mod. So be lenate on the mods guys. They are just trying to do the right thing and keep chat at P.G 13 level.

Denzil.
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21814
Logout