You are not allowed to reply to threads as a guest user.
WELCOME TO PLIT GAMES FORUM
GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: AF Development & Design
Thread: For Doug the Designer
Post by: JEED(103136)
2005-08-31 19:58:48
1'st Quote:

In topic: "AF Development & Design "
Thread "New Areas "
Creator: Doug the Designer(55)
Last Post: Doug the Designer(55)
Last Post Time: 2005-04-23 03:59:49

Aprox. the 18-th message:

Post by: Doug the Designer(55)
2005-02-17 23:51:57
"Mountain's Foot is simply an entryway level up to the top of the mountain and the dungeon under the mountain. It is not meant to stand alone. Elven encampment was also to be an entryway level into a forest dungeon. The SPS is a stand-alone board, and the common encounters and the loads of magic items were done on purpose, because, quite honestly, without them, players will die in droves once they start up the mountain. I wanted every player to at least have a complete pirate set before moving past MF."

NOW THE QUESTION:
Where we could find and/or how we could find "a complete pirate set before moving past MF"?
We don't wanna "die in droves "!
We wait a real answer because the game takes a lot of time and we don't want to lose our time carelessly, cos is our life!
THANK YOU.
Post by: Infamous_Infants(23)
2005-09-01 00:21:56
With the cut down in pirates stuff, the mountains encounters was made easier to.
Post by: FloriZeus(7923)
2005-09-01 00:42:28
There is also no Pirate Stuff beyond the Mountains. Only places where you can get those are Harbor Town, Bandit Camp and SPS.

Remember that the building up of your char through (paid) training is far more important than the items. If you can not compete on a certain level without these items, you will probably not be competitive on a higher level with this weaponry.

I say, develop your adventurer, move from area to area and get good at these areas you go to. If you do so, equipment will start heaping up in your inventory.

Note that it is a good question for you, and it is indeed wise not to be careless although a small mistake(I mean one leading to your death, temporarily as it may be) will probably have no continuing effect on your adventurer.

Right now, the probably only big mistake you can make is go into the Badlands when you are underlevel and have no potions. Because you will die there in such a case, and will probably have great difficulty finding a way out, and keep on dieing every time you encounter something. :)

I think that a level 20 gladiator with 5000 potions might probably make the most quick leveling up we've ever seen if he'd go to the badlands. Only, there are no level 20 adventurers that have 5000 potions :).

So a careful approach will in the end, in my opinion, be most successive.

2005-09-01 04:18:41
Listen to Zeus, he is wise. Just make sure you have potions, and develop your own strategy for staying alive. You'll know you're in over your head pretty fast if you stray too far, and the potions will help you escape back to easier levels.
2005-09-01 05:42:23
I see me, idealy with: 2 pirates rings, 2 pirate earrings, 1 pirate amulet, i pirate necklace,pirates belt, pirates blade, pirates chain coif, pirates chain, pirates boots... And in this condition i see me going to Mountain Foot and further ...
Of course i use payd training, but the skills grow very slow...
For instance:
1 pirate earring (or ring,necklace,belt,anmulet) gives :
5+ Off
5+ Def
5+ A
5+ B
5+ M
5+ S
5+ U
To built and buy this skills u need a lot, believe me: maybe two levels or more...
So the luck or knowledge to get them all is essential, I think...
I appreciate Zeus'es advices, but after u have a complete pirate set i think u enjoy more and more the game and the buying of skills! :)

Wait for opinions for how to get these items faster; I think I've spent some thousands of AP looking for these...
:(
2005-09-01 17:18:16
Actually, you're wrong here.

I have only one pirate item left, because I have even better items now.

You have to understand that good items come practically automatically with better levels.

Example:

lvl 1-20: venturing in AF and the Twin Towns, probably no magic items but you start with: (generally) wargloves, leather helmet and boots, chain mail;

by level 15 or so you will probably have adapted towards 2-h sword, full plate, full plate helmet and plate boots;

now there is a certain difference between these two; alright you can buy the stuff, but I never did; I found it all in those two areas;

how? being patient my friend, and careful; building up a good char;

now I can say when I am level 1: "it is not fair, I need the Full plate, and the other stuff NOW, I need them or I will not be competitive";

Is it right for me to say this? No.

Is it right for you to say "I need the Pirate equipment now or I will not be competitive"? No, when you are strong enough for SPS you can go there, and you will get almost all the items we used to get save two. Of those two one you'll probably have found at an easier area. The other maybe you'll find, if not you'll find something else later on.

You see my point? The items are a reward for being at a certain skill and killing class.

So in conclusion: if you are good enough for SPS, you will find most Pirate Stuff. And then you can move on.
However, there are some things to consider.

There are items removed, but SPS and MF have also been made easier areas, in a way it is fair then that rewards will be lower. Moreover, if you venture to MF and MT(Mountain Trail) or even beyond, you will almost as quickly be outfitted with Items of the Claw. As you do or do not know, these items are actually as strong as the Pirate ones.

You say you need these items for Mountain Foot. I do say: NO!

As you said yourself you can compensate for an item in two or more levels, so if we think logically if you do not find the eight or so pirate items, you will have to wait 20 more levels to go to Mountain Foot. What will you do at the same time, venture to SPS, what will happen when you spend 20 levels in SPS? You will probably end up with 20 or 30 of each of these pirate items.

So, I say: the game is composed of areas that are in some sort of ladder order. Or better, a sort of climbing wall. At the bottom there is AF and the Twin Towns. And then you can see a lot of possible holding points, some are lower, some higher, some bigger some smaller. For you to find out which area at a certain point will help you best in climbing higher upon the wall. The items are rewards, and equipment, they are NOT critical for your eventual development, all they do is give some small boosts to your advancement.

Cheers Jeed,

this post has grown longer than intended and probably full of things not necessary. Yet I think there are some interesting ideas about the learning and development curve in the game, which, right now, seems to be rather well worked out. Cheers for Doug and Peter on this one.

I still believe that the hardest step in the game evolution is moving up from the Twin Towns to Kobold Lair and Bandit Camp. That can take a long time. While higher up, all you have to do is restrain yourself until you jump into the unknown. 90 areas in the game, all for you to discover...wonderful.
2005-09-01 20:27:31
I will reflect at all spoken here,and, maybe, I'll come back after enough adventuring! :) ... and after I'll become wiser reflecting and aplying the results of this thread...
2005-09-01 21:13:30
Good Luck!
2005-09-02 04:59:13
Zeus, the trasition from the Twins to KL and BC is easier now, as there are 2 intermediate levels insterted to get to KL. You don't have to sit at the Twins forever anymore.
2005-09-02 11:19:55
Right, well, that is good news too. Didn't find those areas yet.

Probably never will (with this adventurer) :)
2005-09-05 17:20:10
There is need allthough for a clarify.
How it is better to find magic items?
1)To stay in an area where can be found items and spend as more energy as u can till I find a magic item.
2)To move from area to area and spend a day in one area, other day in other area and so on?!

I wait a specific and exact answer!

Somewhere u said that this items could be find by perseverance and something like this... but how it would not be easy. And I understand is something regard a probability?!

THANX!
2005-09-05 19:39:04
Ofcourse.

After you killed an enemy, there is a certain chance that you will find an item. That could be magic or not.

Whether you get it or not still remains random. Example (but probably wrong, yet in the right spirit) after a battle the game generates a number between 1-100. With a 15% chance to find an item I could say (if there'd be a uniformal spread in the randomness, a fact that may very well not be so) you'd be lucky with number 1-15 or maybe numbers 86-100.

You see, there is some randomness, but also a chance. Now, it can happen that the game will always give you 50s, and then you're ofcourse having bad luck.

Yet the more fights you do the more times the game will have to generate a chance, and thus in a way the higher the chance that you will find an item.

Think about it, whole the game is based on randomness. How hard you hit, how much your potion does repair you, the type of encounter you come accross.

And thus also the finding of magic items.

Now to answer your question. Moving from area to area, or staying in the same area a long time will only be different for:

1) each travel costs you 5 energy - that's five energy less for exploration and resting

2) differences in area itself; some places are better than others to find items at

better said: if you choose between travelling from Hilltop to MF, MT, EE and HT or staying all the time at WT, it's obvious that at WT you will find much less magic and much more garbage. However when comparing staying as much as possible at Mountain Trail or varying between SPS, HT and EE, the difference is much smaller.

So in conclusion I say: do the hardest area that your char can manage(with managing I mean no deaths and no excessive potion use(unless intended)) and so move on slowly. If you do this you will most probably find most items you 'need' on your way up.
2005-09-08 15:00:17
In:

Forum: AF Development & Design
Thread: New Areas

Post(ed) by: Doug the Designer(55)
2005-02-24 23:40:05

it was written:

"I have finally come up with a difficulty ranking system for monsters and levels. Essentially, a monster's difficulty is the amount of damage a monster can do (based on max damage) before he is killed by the median monster of that level. A Level's difficulty is the weighted averages of all the monsters difficulties. Difficulty is relative to the level: An OWP transplanted onto a much higher level will have a much lower difficulty rating.

Top 5 most "difficult" monsters:

Orc War Party 391.6690442
Giant Bear 217.7372852
Cyclops 210.6158215
Reef Giant 200.3442188
Giant Squid (HT) 116.1103048 "

I killed my 1st Reef Giant. He inflicted 106 dammage to me.
These means that I'm two times tougher that the median monster of SPS? Who's the median monster of the SPS?

I think I must increase my Offense and my Efective Defense for be inflicted less, and to resist longer, I think!

Because the rate of power items is reduced how many SPS monsters I must kill to take one item? As aproximation : ....20 or 30... maybe 40, 50 or could be 100?
2005-09-09 03:14:07
That system is old, and I might have changed it since then. It is really for calculating experience points only, and has nothing to do with the player himself.
2005-09-09 05:59:10
I understand regarding the system...
One thing more requiering answer ... :)

Because the rate of power items is reduced how many SPS monsters I must kill to take one item? As aproximation : maybe 40, 50 or could be 100?

But in HT where I'm now? I think here could be 500-1000 ?

Or I put wrong the problem? Must be energy spent in a row or doesn't matter?
2005-09-10 10:15:38
Maybe you should stop asking so many technical questions and just enjoy the game ;-)

I have no intention of answering such questions, and I highly discourage anyone else from doing so.
2005-09-11 18:53:47
"MAYBE you should stop asking so many technical questions..."
I think maybe not!
I am enjoying a lot with the game...
But because I feel it like a competition (contest) I wanna go up on the charts and the progress needs help... :)

Because u said :
"I have no intention of answering such questions, and I highly discourage anyone else from doing so."

I wanna rephrase:

How can I understand why I have 100 hit chances and the monster 80, or at other monster I have 50 and he 60... At a level before ... the numbers are 70 for me and 40-50 for the monsters... ?
In other threads u gave some formulas; could be something explained regarding this!
I insist because u talk about that, so is not a secret. This is for us to enjoy more with the game!:)
And to have more succes , too! :)

Waiting for u'r answer with impatience...
2005-09-13 10:48:30
You'll be waiting a while.
2005-09-13 16:06:21
I'm patient. Cos in this game patience has really a great role... and I'm not joking.
Post by: slangi(11441)
2005-09-15 05:34:42
JEED seriously man enjoy the game and accept it for what it is we will never catch pasha zeus and the others all level 120ish or so unless they go on a 6 month vacation take what you have and enjoy it its not a contest when theres a fine line providing a barrier that divides the players zeus already told you find the stuff as you progress the odds are random the formula for hit chance figure it out its common sense man ask yourself what would make you swing your weapon more effectively and precisely? its all right there in front of you but youre killing your fun by getting way to technical man relax...breathe and slow down, you're months away from being at the point zeus and pasha are now and when you do get there guess what? they'll be even higher and have more delicious stuff they set the paths for us hopefuls they risk their lives to unlock the darkest secrets that doug has waiting for us enjoy that man
2005-09-20 19:22:06
Thanx Slangi!
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21813
Logout