GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: GW Newbies
Thread: Taking over non-RES
Post by: Kray(52284)
2005-04-19 09:05:42
I know that you (Raving Druids) always say that this is a no-no but if I was trapped into an area in which I didn't have the manpower to break through the opposing forces surrounding me, would you then advise that I take over non-RES areas, or is there absolutley no point in which these would benefit me? Would there be any reason that controlling more blocks even those without RES areas would be more beneficial than waiting around until I had the power to cut through the powerful opposition that would await me if I felt lucky?
Post by: mob(23502)
2005-04-19 10:24:39
'm not Druids, but I'm here, so here's my take.

quick answer. don't sit there, keep growing!! While you sit, he grows and as he grows he might box you in completely.

Also consider that there will be times when the trail of juicy res blocks you have been following runs dry. Some people are pickier than others and will give up a trail sooner than others. Regardless, when your trail comes to an end take the highest COM available and go from there.
Post by: Raving Druids(21385)
2005-04-19 15:47:05
Yep - if there is literally no RES to take, take something else to break in to a fresh area.
2006-10-24 12:37:39
I know this is an old/dead post, but this is particularly important in the early stages of the game.

I quote myself from the post above: "Regardless, when your trail comes to an end take the highest COM available and go from there." -WRONG!! I was wrong and I am the first to admit it.

If your RES trail runs dry DO NOT take the best COM block. Spend 10 AP and explore the map. Why? Because the best COM block could be leading you off in the wrong direction thereby wasting AP. It is better to know where the good RES blocks are rather than blindly spending AP controlling a block that leads no where.
Post by: Three Finger Sally(164235)
2006-11-01 01:02:37
I've got to question this, Mob... I've reached a time in nearly every one of my games where my money has suddenly run dry and I've had to stop whatever I was doing to get a quick cash infusion. In mid-game, that usually means breaking off a very intense battle and attacking an abandoned starting block for the 40k or so they've stockpiled. The problim is that that takes 500 or so guys, and incurs a lot of losses. It hurt me bad in 526. (Of course I sent too few guys the first time and got wiped out...)

Anyway, if you collect a couple of real big com blocks early on, the money issue may never develop... I haven't really refined a strategy to avoid that problem right now... How do you deal with it?
2006-11-01 12:51:04
Taking COM blocks early will only postpone the inevitable. Not only that but it is costly in AP and members which isn't a good thing.

If you find a one-block gang too tough to manage you could set your Attack Retreat Level to 2 and send 100 novs against a PWA or MIL block. Then sell the pistols and vests you get to the black market. Don't forget to set your retreat level back to 10 when you are done your PWA/MIL attack(s). Unfortunately this method has its own risks as the amount of weapons and armor you get is random and you could end up with a paltry return. Even with best results it won't compare to the cash you get from a one-block gang.

If you plan on figuring out an ealry-com-block strategy this might help: it takes 1 COM to pay for novs generated by 25 RES (assuming average results).

Regards,

TVG.
Post by: FloriZeus(7923)
2006-11-11 06:38:20
Anyway if you keep on expanding into res blocks and later on begin the tough fight while always doing 5ap attacks you will very seldomly run dry in my opinion.

At least I didnt ever happen to me, but then I have won each and every single war I played.
2006-11-13 13:11:22
And how many *0 games have you played? Hmmm? :-)
Post by: FloriZeus(7923)
2006-11-14 00:43:48
hehe ;) 280 and 300

oh and 181
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2105
Total Posts: 21809
Logout