GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: GW Newbies
Thread: Attacking other gangs....
Post by: The Don 176(58563)
2004-12-15 03:20:44
i have tried attacking the gang next to me an got butchered by his troops - how many men do i need to take a block from a rival gang????
Post by: Raving Druids(21385)
2004-12-15 04:05:35
It depends on how many blocks they have and how many men they have.

Take a look at the ranking list. Divide their strength by their number of blocks. Now do the same for your gang. Gives you an idea of comparitive strength (without making it all complicated and trying to work out gang memeber values).

One block gangs can be very tough. Likewise, hitting blocks that border lots of others can also be hard due to the defence assistance (it ramps up the number of defenders). Try to hit blocks with only one or two joining blocks.

As for numbers - impossible to say for sure but you always want to be mob handed on your first attack and then refine it from there. 300 Novice would normally be my minimum
2004-12-16 08:15:39
Additional way - send 5 Nov (the minimum you can)on a control block order. You will lose the men, but will know exactly what you face once you send the rest of your lads in.
Post by: xlevelninex(36441)
2004-12-17 21:22:49
Unless...
That player is logged on and paying attention and sees your probe. Then they could change the retreat level and you would face something entirely different ^_^. Real time combat rocks!
Just my two cents
~LB
2004-12-18 02:10:14
Hmm....the retreat level would change but the number of gang members would remain the same....they would just all turn either double hard or into mummy's boys ;-))

But yes - Loads of fun can be had with live combat and retreat levels. Especially going from a 2 to a 10 *Evil Grin* Retaking the same block 10 seconds later is also a lot of fun - once fought over the same block 5 times in the space of 2 minutes. The other guy eventually gave up ;-)
2004-12-18 05:02:39
" Hmm....the retreat level would change but the number of gang members"

This statement is not accurate.
Post by: Soren(44463)
2004-12-18 18:11:49
One blockers generally have about 600 troops at saturation (max amount of people they can support given cash and food allowances). Maybe 700. Mostly novices (95%) with a few experienced and masters.

Generally, I don't wipe out these players until I have gotten my hands on a few lasers. You NEED the combat multiplier of the lasers (and suits, if you wanna keep casualties to a minimum) to take these blocks with reasonable AP expenditure.

I often use 2-3000 Experienced or Masters with Lasers to kill off these gangs in the first round. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I think 1500 a bare minimum, and you'll be staring at 50% losses or more.

One block gangs are only worth killing after you've secured the game, IMHO. All you get is a gang kill and maybe 60k cash.

The easiest gangs to hit are those with 10-20 blocks that are moderately expansionist. They probably are at 2000-4000 members, which makes them beatable with 1000 of your men. IF you chose the block carefully. (remember, adjacent defense bonus! A 4 block gang (in square) can deploy a whopping 3/4 of its strength on ANY square, at least for the first hit. This may well amount to over 1500 gangsters.)
2004-12-18 18:30:17
Not accurate in what way?
Post by: bokchoi(49836)
2004-12-18 21:39:12
I alawys thought the retreat level affected the length of rounds you went before retreating and had nothing to do with how many men were there in the first place.
2004-12-18 23:51:49
Raving,
To answer your question in a quick manner I assume you meant to include a "not" in the statement. So in that respect it was not accurate yet I was basing my comment off of the fact you had put it in anyway.
~LB

Now here are my thoughts WRT to Defending Retreat level:
Retreat level affects more then just how long you stick around when it comes to Def.
From what I have seen in my experience, especially when dealing with adjacent blocks, it determines the total overall strength you send to defend that attack.

Why do you think that when a gang is set to Retreat ten that you can literally take out all of the gang members while they still have 10 - 30 blocks left. Yet when they are set to say 2 and you are still killing all the gang members you face, that the last 10 blocks have more then what you had been facing with a lot of guns left over?

Just my perception, and yes I have been involved in a lot of real time combats in which switching retreat level has resulted in devastating results.

This of course is by far noticed more so when the attacker and defender have a somewhat similar overall strength.

My whole point was stealth is sometimes worth the extra 5 AP ^_^.
~LB
2004-12-19 07:28:00
No I did not miss a "not" out, the post is written as I intended.

I have never analysed it but it has always felt to me that the number of defenders is the same regardless of retreat level. If there is a difference, it is not so great as to stand out.

Although....if I attack it is because I am going to win...red mist comes down...retreat level is unimportant ;-) In some cases when it is set to 10 it is a bonus - I know I am going to wipe out all the oppostition in one turn ;-))
2004-12-19 12:04:47
Ahh yes you are correct I miss read the sentence. Though it is irrelevant since the way you worded it meant the same thing.

So basically you have never attacked a gang that has more power than you, or been attacked by one that did not wipe you out. An experienced game would be interesting to you!
2004-12-19 14:36:54
I have attacked gangs with more strength, but they almost always have had a high proportion of non-res blocks and got the strength from hitting MIL blocks. Take the res and the gang dies. Have left gangs with 70 blocks left before but with not enough res to be a threat.

I have been wiped out before but hey - gotta go in optimistic, aint ya? ;-))
Post by: DethNerv(104373)
2005-06-12 08:25:32
i have a question how do u attack other backs or gangs uz i really want to cuz that the only reason y play this game(not really theres some other stuff that i like)
Post by: mob(23502)
2005-06-12 12:15:44
Generally the idea is to get big and strong, then concern yourself with attacking other gangs.

You attack another gang by attempting to control one of their blocks (using the Control Block command). Of course, as you can only attack blocks that are connected to your territory, the rival gang's turf must be bordering yours -- you can not attack a gang that is half way across the map unless your territory spreads out that far.
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21813
Logout