GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: SC General
Thread: Noob introduction
Post by: daniel smith(3538)
2005-08-24 22:17:21
ok everyone, we have the go ahead for some simple but effective changes to sc in the next few weeks..one part of this change will be ours.

what we need(and peter) is a short but sweet catchy introduction for would be players of sc so they can grasp the game b4 they mine there 500aps..of course moncals has a brilliant manual in the noobs link but here we want a simplified version with a good thread name, so to keep there attention lond enuf to know that you need 200 ships for attacking and you gain 1 ap every 10minutes blah blah blah

now get to work :)
Post by: philldodilldo(22259)
2005-08-24 22:26:09
Welcome to Space Conquest! We hope you stick around and learn the game, and end up enjoying it as much as the rest of us do. Before you start using your turns (also known as Action Points) here are a few basics:

You gain 1 turn (action point/AP) per 10 mins as a non payer

You need minerals and power to build anything in this game

You need 200 ships to attack

You Will need to build buildings to be able to build these ships

Do not mine all of your action points when you start just mine about 20-25 action points at a time while building the buildings you need to make ships. Once you have 200 ships try to attack someone and gain your resorces that way.

(as a sidenote, perhaps also then listing some of us vets as people they could contact for tips and advise on playing would be sooooo much simpler)
Post by: SkydiveMike(86286)
2005-08-24 23:02:54
Small edit to phil's

You gain 1 turn (action point/AP) per 10 mins as a non donator; if you do enjoy the game and stick around the minimum donation is $21 US for three months -- you will receive 2 AP per 10 minutes instead of the one.

Now .... something on ships

In order to build your buildings, click on the "Buildings" link. The screen that appears will tell you the cost (minerals and power) of each type of building.

In order to build your spaceships, click on the "Spaceships" link. The screen there will tell you the cost (minerals, power, and spaceship parts) for each type of ship. Your homeworld (HW) builds space ship parts for you one the fly -- you do not prebuild them and store them. Each Spaceship Plant (SSP) you have will make three (3) parts per AP. It is in your best interest to get some additional SSP's built when you build you buildings so that your shipbuilding does not use all of your action points.
2005-08-24 23:13:39
Now .. something on Action Points ...

When you first join the game, or start a new round, you will have 400 Action Points - aka turns. Much of the game revolves around these turns and the way you use and manage your action points will be a large part of your success. There is a limit to action points, you can have a maximum of 500 at any time and if you have 500 any of the new ones you get (1 or 2 per 10 minute depending on donator status as above) will be lost forever.
Post by: Dalvian(38356)
2005-08-24 23:16:42
Welcome to the game of Space Conquest. Here we will be giving you a few pointers to get started.

Your first step is to locate the commands on the left hand portion of the screen and click the tab that says "show empire". Here you see your player information, your homeworld, and what will be your fleet. This gives you an idea of what you are starting with.

Next click on the mine minerals tab. This is where you acquire minerals without attacking anyone. Experienced players suggest that this not be your principal method of gaining minerals but you will need to mine to get started.

To mine you will need to spend action points. For every action point you spend you will gain a small amount of minerals. In the box type 10 and click "mine it". You have now spent your first action points and earned a few minerals.

Now you will click the building tab. This screen is where you build up your homeworld. Having Building Plants, Spaceship plants, Power Supply, and Power Storage will enable you to build a fleet with a lower Action Point cost. The more of these you have the less Action points you will spend. Build Building Plants, Spaceship Plants, Power Supply, and power storage until you have 20 of each. You will need to mine some more in order to do this.

Now that your homeworld is producing at a more efficient level you need to build the infastructure you will need to maintain your fleet. These facilities are Space ports, and Command Centers. Build 67 Space ports and 9 Command Centers. This will give you the necessary to support and command 200 ships.

It is time to build those 200 ships. Mine until you reach 400 minerals and click on the "Spaceships" tab. This is the screen where you will build your fleet. It lists all of the ships that you can purchase. For now we will only build fighters. Type 200 in the box next to fighters and click "build it." You now have the minimum required fleet to attack another player.

To attack another player you have to know what their stat bar means so I will show you. Click on Empire List and you will see, indeed, a list of the empires from highest to lowest in score. I will show you my current empire stat bar as an example.

P Empire Id FId Score AP Last Change A W
9 Dalvian **7968 - 13536 80 2005-08-24 10 W

P Numeric Position
Empire The name of the empire
Id The Identification number assigned when one joins.
FId The Identification number of the players empire
Score The players current score
AP How many Action Points this player has.
Last Change The last time this player acted or was hit.
A Attack. This number shows you the AP cost to attack.
W Write. Click the W to send them a message.

For your first attack you will attack the player dirrectly above you. Click the number in the attack collumn. It should be a 9, meaning this attack will cost you exactly 9 action points. Fight this empire until you win a battle. You may need to mine in order to rebuild ships you have lost.

Now that you have won you will have recieved minerals and power as the spoils of war. Use these minerals to invest in your homeworld, build more ships, and attack another empire. Your score will increase and you will move up the board.

Other manuals will give you much more information than this startup manual and I suggest you read them. Before you go I would like to tell you a couple more things.

1. Each round lasts two weeks. The game will then completely reset. All empires will be on an even playing field.

2. The Chat screen on your right is how you communicate with other players.

3. Over the course of two weeks you will win battles and lose battles. Your homeworld and Fleet will be devastated. You will rebuild and devastate others.

4. The object of the game is to be in the #1 position when the round ends. That player is the winner and all players in their federation will be credited with a federation victory.

(This is a very rough draft. My primary goal was to show the tone that I think a starter manual should contain. We need to walk the first day newbs through their first day and then point them toward more in depth manuals such as the excellent "MonCals Noob manual")

2005-08-24 23:19:07
extension to part of phil's

You need 200 ships to attack and you need buildings on your home world to support and command these ships. Your ships are housed in Space Ports (SP's) and each SP can house 3 ships. In order to achieve your minimum of 200 ships, therefore you will require 67 SP's. Once your ships are housed, you will need Command Centers (CC's) in order to control those ships. Each command center can control 20 ships, therefore you will require 10 CC's to manage these ships. But wait, there is a small but good catch -- your HW itself *is* a command center so you only need to build 9 additional CC"s to add to your HW for your total of ten.
2005-08-24 23:19:55
awsome dalvian -- wow
Post by: philldodilldo(22259)
2005-08-25 00:45:05
yeah.. i vote dals... rofl if its not too long to peter...
Post by: daniel smith(3538)
2005-08-25 09:30:06
if i see peter on today il point him to it and see what he thinks, thanks for the help on this one guys..
Post by: Wolverine(1)
2005-08-27 12:34:43
ok, will put in Dalvians post for newbies.

We also need a new round message which will be sent to everyone when a new round starts.
It should be made for new players who gets confused when a new round start.

Hope someone can make a cool one.

Peter
Post by: Little Sister(34495)
2005-08-27 13:56:28
My welcome suggestion.....

Welcome to a New Round of Space Conquest!

Rounds are 14 days long.

Ending on Friday or Saturday, depending on where you are in the world.

Start by building a Home World (HW) and ships to fill it, there's a short tip section on how to do this, labeled "Noob introduction" in SC General/Game Status section of the forums.

Good Luck in the new round =)
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21814
Logout