GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: SfP Development & Design
Thread: Rogue Ideas, anyone?
Post by: gatcholio(28366)
2005-01-04 10:58:20
A lot of disrespect for rogues. Everyone says they are worthless. Does anyone have one of high level, that can attest for what they do at high levels? I don't have one, and frankly had forgot they even existed until a read a prior post.

So, let's create a list of idea's, that can add usefulness of rogues to this fine game.

I'll start...
2005-01-04 11:00:35
It would make sense that Rogues would have a higher percentage chance of finding unique items after combat phase.

2005-01-04 11:06:51
Rogues could also do a sneak attack.

Sneak attack % would depend on class skill and sneak skill combined. Probably some funky logarithm could go here...

How it could work: a new option "sneak attack" could be implemented. If used, party can then click on an adjacent square. He would then proceeed to enter the square in a non combat style and possibly find treasure. This would be highly dangerous in early levels or against huge stacks of creatures, but wouldn't it be fun to do to a single large character, such as a goblin chief? Might be useless, since you will probably attack the square anyway and get the treasure all the same.

OR

If you and another player have both signed the book of blood, imagine how nice it would be to steal an item or two from your opponent. I guess you would have to add a "defense against sneak attacks" skill somewhere in here.
2005-01-04 11:10:30
Assassin Attack

If in the front lines, your rogue can try for an assassin attack.

Logarithms abound, he could try to kill an enemy in one attack. This might take place before magic rounds, as to keep it sneaky. Sneak skill correlation here... If he's caught, then round begins as normal without an attempt, and rogue gets no combat action in the first round of fighting.
2005-01-04 11:12:47
This could all be configured under combat settings if all these were incorporated, then you could set it up to do either sneak attack, assassin attempt, steal, and whatever else.

Basically, rogues need special skills all their own, and everyone needs counter skills to the rogue skills.

That's all for now. :)

Look forward to hearing some more ideas, or takes on prior ones.
Post by: FloriZeus(7923)
2005-01-04 20:54:13
Sounds nice, but I think all skills should be able to be learnt by others too :)

But we could ofcourse add in multiple sneak and assassin attacks for rogues depending on class skill :)
Post by: Kubala(25078)
2005-01-23 13:21:03
why sneak attack when a good warrior could bludgeon someone to death? there's my 2 cents
Post by: LarsWyrdson(34512)
2005-01-28 01:11:09
My thought is that sneak attack could be the new first round of combat, before casting. That way a party with multiple/or a powerful rogue would have a chance to take out an enemy spellcaster before they have a chance to cast. That would be the only way in the game to forstall a casting...
Post by: managerr(74301)
2005-04-24 04:11:54
- I like the sneak attack idea....if that's too hard to manage, give them a critical strike/backstab ability. Basically they get a small % chance to instantly kill a creature upon hitting it (% goes up with class). Against stronger creatures, it becomes a critical attack instead of an instant kill.

- Combat Evasion -- Maybe make them more effective in avoiding attacks when wearing lighter armor.

I would totally use a rogue if it had a higher % chane of finding magic/unique items after combat....
Post by: Dalvian(38356)
2005-04-30 19:35:56
I say give the rougue his own set of "spells". This would give him special abilities in comparison with mages and healers.

1. Backstab= an attack that does an increased amount of damage.
2. Steal= Takes gold or items from NPC's during the battle.
3. Apply Poison=adds a poison multiplier to a party member's weapon.

I'm not programer but this should be simple to apply as there allready exists programs for spells. This would make the rougue a valluable member of a party and a lot more fun to play.
Post by: fatboi(88277)
2005-05-04 23:20:38
Ditto to Dalvian
2005-06-25 12:34:18
Maybe even simpler-- allow Rogues to use some of mages non-combat spells. The drawback being that they train magic and spells really really slow. That would make them instantly more playable. However, if every spell is only tied to one class in the database, then just throw out this suggestion. :)
Post by: Feelin(175625)
2006-03-22 00:01:16
I'm kinda missing a magic-counter class...

Why not simply give rogues a preemptive attack, paralyzing one target for magic / ranged / both rounds? that would make them both useful, AND doesn't suddenly mess up what the class is like... (not a spellcaster)
Post by: suepahfly(59692)
2006-03-22 17:21:08
well, my rogue is great in front row, it would be nice to have some changes on his skills, but it wouldn't be fair.

People have been pleying (with or without rogues) for a long time. Zeus for example.
If he doesn't have a rogue, he can't use this skills, since he can't afford training up a new rogue from scratch, since it would be too boring for him.

If he does have one, the skills you all talk about would be soo low, compared to his other skills, and it just wouldn't be fair to older parties...

I suggest it stays as it is...

That + the fact that there are no more update to the game planned for the next year or so, makes me think it will stay exactly how it is... The way i like it ;)

-DF-
2006-03-23 17:07:35
With every great RPG there is an endgame, but at the same time, the draw of it is replayability. If there were several new classes/spells, changes to the combat engine, etc. I'd give them all a try, or start a new party from scratch or something.
Post by: mrsatan(304997)
2007-07-12 19:16:04
wellwell
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21813
Logout