GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: VOW Development & Design
Thread: Tournament Start Dates?
Post by: Bret Hart(73101)
2007-09-14 04:24:13
Tournaments are so dead especially in SSWO and VWO that I have a solution. I know that it isn't an option to lower the requirement of players (As it has been recommended before...) but how about having start dates? That would give people time to enter and if they don't then they miss out and it just runs with whoever entered. That way if 8 people didn't enter then it's their own fault. That way champions like me wouldn't have a free ride and never have to defend ROFL! Just a thought.

OR a better idea by Bruiser Brody is this: Computer opponets enter tournaments that don't start within a week. NPCs as he calls them. They would have like 75% of the maximum league experience. That way they're beatable, but not losers either. :)
Post by: Dyna Mike Duncan(127082)
2007-09-14 05:13:02
The Tournament Start Date idea has been proposed before (I suggested it :P) and would be a good idea.

The NPC's are also a good idea - depends how many would be needed + at what point they are entered into tourneys really.

A combination of the two ideas could work - for example:

Once a Title Match has been fought, set the start date for the next tournament to start (A week later???) The day before the next tourney is due to start, then + only then will the 'NPC's' be added.

If enough wrestlers join the tourney before the 'Start Date' is hit, then the tourney starts automatically
Post by: Gravedigger(270785)
2007-09-14 05:27:44
I have a better idea. Instead if NPCs with 75% of max league exp, we could use names of the VOW legends. Here's how:

NPC Name: Legend*legend's name*

NPC ID: NPC*VOW legend's number*

NPC Code: NPC*WrestlerID**legend number*

Exp: Random *from min to 75% of max.*

Allowed Staff: Doctors Level 1 or Doctors Level 2

Moves:

Default moves

Bought moves(based on EXP, style, and average bought moves of other players)

Specials(LAW/SPWA can have 1, PWO/SSWO 2, and VWO 3 specials)

Example:

NPC Name: LegendScorpion

NPC ID: NPC1

NPC Code: NPC-3730-1

Rest of the info is determined by league and participants.
Post by: detroit maniac(233270)
2007-09-14 15:33:14
Whoa, I totally got lost reading that, but if it'll help the SSWO Tech Tourny start, and then give me some more Bling *Shine, sparkle, sparkle* Then I'm all for it
Post by: Captain Stupendous(38517)
2007-09-14 16:23:41
For what reasons do people take any actions?

I need to eat because I'm hungry. I want eat KFC because it tastes good. I need to poop because I ate that KFC.

People take action out of want or need.

Why then, do people avoid the VWO tournaments? It's because there's little incentive or need to do so.

There are three categories of players in VWO:
1. The Title Chaser
Title Chasers want titles. Since they are already in the tournaments, they are irrelevant to this discussion.

2. The Imminent Retiree
Retirees would rather not gamble the $500 entry fee on a tournament that they might not even win. Retirement is their only goal.

3. The Apathetic
Rikishi is really the only person that fits into this category, as he neither wants belts nor does he want to retire.

If the goal is to bring more Retirees into the tournaments, then they have to be given a reason to do so. What is the opportunity cost for these players to enter the tournaments? Currently, they can spend $500 on a metaphorical lottery ticket or they can be patient and grind their way to retirement. The patient route is an easy one to take, since retirement is so close once you reach VWO.

I would suggest a scaled pay structure for tournaments. That way, players could have a chance at least recouping their entry fee if they advance far enough. If we entice these players with more money, more of them will show up in the tournaments.
Post by: Syrjis(80123)
2007-09-15 05:19:14
I had to google what "apathetic" means. I thought it was something evil. But it was just that I'm "meh". :D

I do join tourneys once in every blue moon or so. Or when I'm bored. Or accidentally click the button.
2007-09-17 05:43:31
LOL Rikishi... Why don't you accidently enter the VWO table tournament? :P

And I think the pay scale for tournaments is a great idea as well Capn... I'm really for anything that would actually be effective. :)
2007-09-17 11:28:53
Because I'm going after your Ladder belt. -.-
2007-09-18 05:05:03
LOL Rikishi climb a ladder? :P The thought is entertaining.
2007-09-18 10:58:10
I know.
Post by: Shoottothrill86(176802)
2007-09-20 04:01:07
Here's a thought: Since there are so few VWOs (I've never seen more than 50 or so) and it's an accomplishment to get there, how about doing away with the entry fee for VWO tournaments? Most people are gearing up for retirement, and it's not like you can take the money with you. It would be kind of a reward for making it that far, even if you are still a bit from retiring. It might even encourage the ones that enter to go doc only...

I'm about half asleep so I'm not even sure if that came out right, but I think I got it across.
2007-09-23 03:57:19
"Here's a thought: Since there are so few VWOs (I've never seen more than 50 or so) and it's an accomplishment to get there, how about doing away with the entry fee for VWO tournaments? Most people are gearing up for retirement, and it's not like you can take the money with you. It would be kind of a reward for making it that far, even if you are still a bit from retiring. It might even encourage the ones that enter to go doc only..."

That's a pretty awesome idea, I think it would work. :)
Post by: Dyna Mike Duncan(127082)
2007-09-23 08:57:03
Only problem with the idea of free entry to VWO tourneys I can see is how much it could effect other tourney entries - particularly in SSWO. Why would an SSWO pay $500 to join the SSWO tourney when he can join a VWO one for free?

Yes, the tourneys would run more regularly - but they would be full of non-VWO's and probably loads of noobs too who see the zero entrance fee.

I like the idea, but given the infrequency that some SSWO tourneys run - this wouldn't help that situation at all
Post by: Bruiser Brody(121422)
2007-09-30 15:09:28
My tournament idea :
To help tournaments start more frequently, we could add several dimensions to them, with as little coding needed as possible. * The harder it is for an idea to implement, regardless how good it may be, the less chance Peter will make it happen.

1) A set date from the last time the tourny ran. After thinking about it, I feel the timeframe should be 2 weeks.
2)Fill any remaining spots with NPC's (non player characters).

Concept : NPC's should NOT be randomly created as this would be a time consuming coding job. MAKE it simple. Have a list of created NPC's with simple names and preset stats added to the tourny database. They should be a formidable challenge ,but not unbeatable. I suggest a 75% maximum experience level compared to the league in which the tourny is ran. IF an NPC wins the tourny finals, then simply restart the tourny singup the next day.
*At least this way, we get a fighting chance and also see all the tournys run on a regular basis. ** I feel that because a player chooses to be a Trad, he/she shouldn't be punished or neglected from the opportunity to win the SSWO Trad title (example).

The Title Chaser, The Imminent Retiree, or The Apathetic, all three make up the VOW community, thus all three should have opportunities too excel in their endeavors. * The Apathetic is the only one with actual restrictions, to keep the competitiveness in the higher league from being tainted by juggernauts.

Final Thoughts on Idea : To keep the idea true and simple, we don't need to add frivolous things like "staff usage", "NPC specials", or "anything special about NPC's" lol. Remember, you increase your chances of having something changed ingame IF you keep it as simple as possible, THUS making the idea more attractive for Peter to think about and add to the game (if he likes the concept).

Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21814
Logout