GUEST()

Reply to Thread
Return to thread view
Return to main page

Forum: VOW Development & Design
Thread: Idea for a new match engine
Post by: Kueller(13231)
2007-09-07 10:07:10
I think I allready suggested this a year ago... maybe you'll like it now...

The problem atm is that we have matches that start with a stomp, a diving headbutt, a scorpion deathlock etc...

This is far from realistic

There are some moves that can only be performed if your opponent is on the ground, others that can only be performed if he is standing - so why not at this in VOW?

Every move gets 2 new attributes: Start/Finish
Both have as possible values: "standing" or "lying"

Start = "standing" - The move can only be performed when the opponent is on his feet
Start = " lying" - The move can only be performed when the opponent is on the floor
Finish = "standing" - After the move is done the opponent is still standing
Finish = "lying" - After the move is done the opponent is on the floor

Example:
1) Punch (Standing/Standing)
2) Diving Headbutt (lying/lying)
3) Spear (Standing/lying)

Not sure if there are any moves that work (lying/standing)..

So, how would this be incorporated into a match?

When a move is selected at random, the engine checks if the opponent is in the correct position. If yes, the move is executed. If not, no move is executed and the opponent gets to try his luck

pseudocode:
if(move_start == opponent_situation) do move else do nothing

If a wrestler is on the floor, he cannot attack. He will use his turn to try and get up. Chance should depend on his and his opponents con

pseudocode:
if(attacker_position == "lying") do
luck = randomnumber from 0 to 1
if luck isSmallerThan attacker con /(attacker con + opponent con)
do attacker_position = "standing" else do nothing
else do move

Counters:
Countering a move would work similarly.
Examples:
1) Punch gets countered - Attacker and defender stay on their feet
2) Diving Headbutt gets countered - defender changes from "lying" to "standing", Attacker from "standing" to "lying"
3) Vertical suplex - Attacker falls to the floor, defender stays on his feet

This would lead to:
a) realistic matches
b) more tactical depth - everyone will have a different mixture of moves
Post by: Syrjis(80123)
2007-09-07 12:57:06
Sounds cool. Could make VOW less boring. But likely it won't happen like every other good suggestion. :(
Post by: denzil(82151)
2007-09-08 08:53:14
I like the looks of this . seems awesome .
Some questions from a non coder ok.

There will be lots of text where the players do nothing wile standing and laying down. I must admit it will add bounus text into the match to make it more readable and life like. I would like to see extra text for when there standing etc or it will get realy boring.

counters need some extra flaver too and same for the pins. How ever lots of subs and pins are done from the mat in the first place so standing is not allways what wreaslers need to do. I am sure some trad or techs will show you some move sets that are all on the ground. ok

Denzil
Post by: Dinkus_Warrior(50201)
2007-09-08 12:30:32
after looking over the idea pitched by Kueller, something like this would be a good change, and personally, I'd like to throw in my two cents (which is about how much I am worth these days) on some parts, as an aspiring coder.

On random selection:
I do not agree that the person should lose their "turn" for randomly selecting a lying move when the opponent isn't prone, at least not 100% for sure they would lose it. After all, random generators can get a bit funky at times, and a person could end up going a whole match without doing one move. Maybe if they do fail, have a 50% chance at loss and 50% chance at reroll, adding 10-15% for each time they have rerolled after that? While it still has that chance of one person never getting a move in, it would be a bit more "fair". The function for this wouldn't be that hard at all, with two little more small blocks of code to add in this modifier.

On Countering:
Just an idea out here, but shift the result category to three results: successful, countered, reversed. Successful is pretty much self explanatory, but the difference being between countered and reversed - countering would deal damage, reversing just negates the move. Not all moves in a real wrestling match are countered for damage against the opponent, so would be interesting to see it transition to this idea. Again, not all that much more, just addition two more lines of code here.

Outside of that, everything seems really solid :) and I hope Peter takes a look at it on a rainy day and gives it some consideration.

-RVD420
Post by: Syrjis(80123)
2007-09-08 13:15:37
RVD420 pwns.
2007-09-08 21:46:08
I know a little about html and xml but i did understand what was sugensted. I might send Peter a cut and paist of this thread. its a good idea and wile he is changeing stuff why not. its looking like a improvement for sure. Hope it does not max out trads or techs to much.
Post by: Bret Hart(73101)
2007-09-09 04:08:22
I have always been a supporter of something like this happening because I think it's stupid to start a match with a stomp ROFL! But when I suggested it I was told that the coding would have to be changed too much.
2007-09-09 04:23:07
we can ask. we might get it since lots of things are changeing and with improvments like above ya never know. i emailed this thread off to peter to read and look at. who knows unless we tickle peter more lol. this would be awesome i agree. it would make it more relistic too.
Reply to Thread

Total Users: 581
Total Forums: 20
Total Threads: 2106
Total Posts: 21814
Logout